Whereas fewer youngsters have been sick with COVID-19 in comparison with adults, youngsters could be contaminated with the virus that causes COVID-19, can get sick from COVID-19, and might unfold the virus that causes COVID-19 to others. Kids, like adults, who’ve COVID-19 however don’t have any signs (“asymptomatic”) can nonetheless unfold the virus to others.
Most kids with COVID-19 have gentle signs or don’t have any signs in any respect. Nonetheless, some youngsters can get severely sick from COVID-19. They may require hospitalization, intensive care, or a ventilator to assist them breathe. In uncommon circumstances, they may die.
CDC and companions are investigating a uncommon however critical medical situation related to COVID-19 in youngsters referred to as Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Kids (MIS-C). We don’t but know what causes MIS-C and who’s at elevated danger for creating it. Be taught extra about MIS-C.
Infants underneath 1 yr outdated is perhaps extra more likely to have extreme sickness from COVID-19. Different youngsters, no matter age, with the next underlying medical situations may also be at elevated danger of extreme sickness in comparison with different youngsters:
- Bronchial asthma or persistent lung illness
- Genetic, neurologic, or metabolic situations
- Sickle cell illness
- Coronary heart illness since beginning
- Immunosuppression (weakened immune system as a result of sure medical situations or being on medicines that weaken the immune system)
- Medical complexity (youngsters with a number of persistent situations that have an effect on many elements of the physique, or are depending on know-how and different important helps for each day life)
- Weight problems
This listing doesn’t embrace each underlying situation that may improve the danger for extreme sickness in youngsters. As extra data turns into accessible, CDC will proceed to replace and share details about danger for extreme sickness amongst youngsters.
In case your baby has an underlying situation, make sure that to debate your baby’s potential for getting very sick with their healthcare supplier. Signs of COVID-19 are related in adults and youngsters and might appear like signs of different widespread sicknesses equivalent to colds, strep throat, or allergy symptoms. The most typical signs of COVID-19 in youngsters are fever and cough, however youngsters might have any of those indicators or signs of COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Nasal congestion or runny nostril
- New lack of style or scent
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath or problem respiration
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle or physique aches
- Poor urge for food or poor feeding, particularly in infants underneath 1 yr outdated
What you are able to do
Pay explicit consideration to:
- Fever (temperature 100.4 °F or larger)
- Sore throat
- New uncontrolled cough that causes problem respiration (for a kid with persistent allergic/asthmatic cough, see if there’s a change from their standard cough)
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or stomachache
- New onset of extreme headache, particularly with a fever
In case your baby otherwise you had been round somebody who has COVID-19, somebody from the well being division might contact you for contact tracing. Communicate with them and observe their recommendation.
Take steps to guard your baby in case you are sick and gradual the unfold of COVID-19.
To study extra about the best way to shield your self from the virus that causes COVID-19 go to the Learn how to Shield Your self and Others web page.
In case your baby has signs of COVID-19:
- Maintain your baby residence.
- Contemplate whether or not your baby must see a healthcare supplier and be examined for COVID-19.
- Shield your self from COVID-19 whereas caring to your sick baby by carrying a masks, washing your fingers regularly, monitoring your self for signs for COVID-19, and utilizing different preventive measures.
- Notify your baby’s college that your baby is sick. Additionally inform the college in case your baby has had a COVID-19 take a look at and what the result’s, if accessible.
- Evaluation your baby’s college (or different childcare facility) insurance policies associated to when a baby who has been sick can return.
- Deliver your baby again to highschool or different in-person actions solely after they’ll safely be round others.
Don’t delay looking for emergency care to your baby since you are fearful in regards to the unfold of COVID-19. Emergency departments have an infection prevention plans to guard you and your baby from getting sick with COVID-19 in case your baby wants emergency care.
In case your baby is exhibiting any of those emergency warning indicators, search emergency medical care instantly.
- Hassle respiration
- Ache or strain within the chest that doesn’t go away
- New confusion
- Can’t get up or keep awake when not drained
- Pale, grey, or blue-colored pores and skin, lips, or nail beds, relying on pores and skin tone
This listing doesn’t embrace all doable signs.
Name your baby’s healthcare supplier for some other signs which are extreme or regarding to you.